- Seeing the whole, written by Alice Lee
PRINCIPLES & PURPOSE
- Bolting down the road to lean: A few years ago, California-based MS Aerospace embarked on a lean journey to reduce lead times. Harry Smith, Lean Manufacturing Coordinator, explains why it would not have succeeded without systems thinking built into its approach.
- Storing knowledge: By increasing visibility of the entire value stream and moving away from a strictly hierarchical structure Stockholm City Archive managed to respond to a growing workload and an ageing workforce, says Stellan Särlefalk.
- Don’t mind your own business: Lasting results can only be achieved by involving every part of the value chain. Klaus Petersen of Danish wholesaler Solar A/S explains how the organisation improved the communication flow across functions and departments.
- Hidden in plain sight: Visual management expert Gwendolyn Galsworth talks about the great contribution that visuality can give to turning different areas of a business into an integrated system.
SECTOR FOCUS: BANKING
- The ABC of leaning banks: Brenton Harder shares the letter he wrote the Board of Directors of the Commonwealth Bank of Australia upon launching a lean six sigma programme. The document can be used a framework for the application of lean thinking in a financial institution.
THE HEALTHCARE WATCH
In this section, LMJ presents interesting case studies from the healthcare sector. In this edition, Rajaram Govindarajan of Barcelona’s ESADE Business School analyses the application of lean principles in public hospitals in Spain and demonstrates how such focus will bear more fruits than copayments.
COMMENTS AND LETTERS
- The contribution in this issue comes from GKN’s Peter Watkins, who comments on the interview with Black Widow’s Jason Oliver, appeared in the June edition of LMJ, and discusses the application of lean in small organisations.
LESSONS FROM DEMING
- Drawing lines: In the second article of a series on Dr Deming’s teachings, Bill Bellows talks about the effect that a distinction between value added and non value added has on people.
LMJ IN CONFERENCE
- In this section, reviews of the conferences, seminars and other events that LMJ attends – in this issue, Roberto Priolo looks back at the LMJ Annual Conference 2013.